David Bowie and Mick Jagger in "Dancing in the Streets"
I came across a couple of 1980's music videos on YouTube and realized there's a gold mine out there of stuff that is great to see again. And much of it is a ton of fun! So… I've started collecting them and will do a few posts. Here's the first 5.
"Dancing in the Streets" by David Bowie and Mick Jagger
OMG! I forgot about this one. A must see for Jagger's overexaggerated facial expressions and his unique dancing skill which are some combination 1970's hard rock concert performance and 1980's pop.
A few observations upon seeing this video after so long:
- I can not believe Mick Jagger was not cast as "The Joker" in any of the Batman movies.
- How uncomfortable it is to watch Mick Jagger dance down the streets or say "Back in the U.S.S.R.!"
- Bowie and Jagger didn't kiss.
- Even with all the terribleness throughout the video, Bowie still manages to look cool at times.
So 80's pieces: Hair, Dancing in the streets (obv), Running in place, Hand dancing
"Separate Ways" by Journey
This 1983 hit spent 6 weeks at #8 on the Billboard top 100 and set new standards for air instruments that are still shocking!
A few observations about this video:
- That is the worst job I've ever seen playing an air piano. Is he really trying to imitate a bear playing an air piano? If so… brilliant!
- Really… the playing of all air instruments here was below average.
- The close up of Steve Perry's teeth was unnecessary.
- Uncoolest drummer in a video ever?
- I feel they painted the warehouse yellow just for the shoot. That probably blew the budget!
So 80's pieces: Air piano, Sideways look to camera, So much denim, Hair, Collars up, Starts or ends with a single person in a bed
"Rock Me Tonite" by Billy Squire
This is a MUST SEE and could be the quintessential bad 80's video. It is basically Squire "dancing" around a bedroom singing. Some people think this video is the worst of all time and ruined his career. COME ON! It is fantastic!!!!
- We all would have been better off if he just got on that elevator at the beginning.
- Obviously, he's a big Jennifer Beals fan
- Totally props to Squire for geting THAT into it!
So early 80's pieces: Starts or ends with a single person in a bed, Hair, Air guitar, Running in place, Flashdance-ing, Flashdance style, Slashed shirt,
"Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats
This one was all the rage of the Summer of 1982. It made no sense, the song is terrible yet you can't get it out of your head. So… awesome!
- I generally agree that "We can act if we want to, if we don't nobody will."
- It did look like a fun parade.
- You really don't want to be the person in the chicken mask.
So 80's pieces: Hair, Walking through fields, Crazy Costumes, Hand dancing, Dancing in the streets,
"Girls Just Want To Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper
This one was a phenomenon that dominated MTV for weeks. And it had Captain Lou Albano in it! It is still lots of fun to watch.
- This video is totally awesome.
- I bet they had tons of fun making this one.
- The salute to the Marx Brothers state room scene is great!
So 80's pieces: Phones with cords, Hair, Dancing in the street, Lou Albano!